Levity & Novelty is the first volume of the yearlong 4-volume Anthems & Antithets project. Levity & Novelty is the funny one. 27 comic songs from indie-pop to theatrical numbers to a Tom Lehrer cover.
- My Bad, about a compulsive apologizer (co-written with Amy Engelhardt)
- Picture Me, an elegant 1930s-style foxtrot about intimate photographs (co-written with Peter Lurye)
- Ava’s Couch, a surf song about couch surfing (co-written with Bill Berry)
- Eternal Damnation, a not-safe-for-church anthem, sung by Joe Moe
- (Gimme Some of that) Old Time Prog, a send-up of prog rock (co-written by & featuring Johnny Unicorn)
- Perfectly Awful, a Punch & Judy love duet featuring Deb Hiett
- Audience Participation, a claustrophobic tango about the hazard we face at live shows
- The Brain, a Tom Lehrer-esque roast of the overblown claims of neuroscience
- Don’t Call Back, an ardent paean to ghosting
- Medical Emergency, a 27-second musical PSA urging any listener experiencing a health crisis to dial 911
- You’re Like Hitler, about the favorite ace-in-the-hole for all political arguments
- A Man with No Foible, a bolero about the invisibility of our own bad habits
- And fifteen more
Even though the songs are comedic, there is no skimping on the music. Lush, intricate arrangements (often with strings, woodwinds, brass, chorus), performed by the likes of: Marc Muller, Jim “Kimo” West, Sam Woodbury, Edwin Livingston, Mark Pardy, Andy Sanesi, Peter Lurye, Sara Parkins, Maggie Parkins, Mark Hollingsworth, Chris Tedesco, Joe Moe , Kathi Funston, Amy Keys, & Paul F. Perry.